Aside from the mortal embarrassment some of us may feel from suffering such a simple mishap, a slip and fall can be a very serious and dangerous matter. It is a very common occurrence and can happen at any time to anyone. We may think that slip and falls are common in places like supermarkets and sidewalks but they are not limited to these places. Below are a few places that are hazardous and prone to such unfortunate incidents.
- Places where ice and snow have not been cleared (ramps, parking lots, etc)
- Sudden inclines/declines that are not clearly marked
- Poorly lit areas
- Unkempt areas (with objects and debris in well travelled places like aisles and walkways)
- Damaged surfaces (potholes and cracks)
- Slippery surfaces (either from moisture, waxing or the type of material on floor)
A business or property owner has the legal obligation to ensure your safety on their premises. He or she can be held liable for any injuries that may arise from neglecting to make their property free of hazardous situations. In the unfortunate event that someone is hurt, certain factors are scrutinized to ascertain whether or not sufficient actions were taken to prevent such an incident.
- Was there an obvious danger that was overlooked or ignored?
- Could said danger be easily rectified
- For what length of time was the danger left in play
- Were proper standardized inspections carried out
Here in Canada, an injured person has the legal right to be compensated for any interruption in their life that is a direct result of the accident. While not limited to these items, below are a few examples of what can be claimed.
- Current and future medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of income and future earnings
- Housekeeping and home maintenance
- Miscellaneous personal costs linked to the accident
If you have suffered a slip and fall accident, there are a few steps you can take to maximise obtaining a successful outcome for your claim. It is very important to first seek emergency medical attention if you are injured or hurt. After that is done, if you are able, here are a few pointers that you can follow to help build your case.
- If you are able to, or maybe if you can get help from others present, try to get pictures of where the incident happened, what may have caused the accident, anything that can document what has happened.
- Call a reputable personal injury lawyer who has experience in slip and fall accidents. We at Rastin and Associates have the knowledge and compassion to handle your case effectively from beginning to end. We offer you a free initial consultation to help guide you through your options in your time of need.
- Providing proof that your injury is directly linked to your accident is of extreme importance. Claims adjustors scrutinize all details and look specifically for pre-existing health issues which may inflate your current medical condition.
- Establishing negligence on the defendants’ part is also very helpful. More commonly referred to as “duty of care”, it shows the legal responsibility of the business owner/person responsible.
The burden of proof for this particular type of injury is usually weighted against the plaintiff/injured. It is a trying time and the steps that you take are crucial in getting a favourable outcome in your case. Hire us at Rastin & Associates and allow us to handle your case with the expertise and efficiency for which we are well known.