Regrettably, every day several Canadians are injured or lose their lives due to the negligence of intoxicated drivers. Most times the injuries or damages caused by a drunk driver are severe and can leave an individual disabled, out of work and financially strained.
Most people are unaware of the effects that alcohol can have on their driving. Alcohol consumption restrains a driver’s response to danger and their awareness, which leads to reckless driving and speeding. The drunk driver lacks the ability to take caution and foresee and prevent accidents. As a result, many innocent victims have to deal with the consequences of another individual’s negligence and need the assistance of an auto accident lawyer.
Impact of Drunk Driving
Victims of drunk driver accidents may suffer from one or more of a wide range of injuries. Broken bones, concussions and brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, internal bleeding and severe wounds are some of the many injuries suffered. In some cases these accidents result in death, leaving families grieving and seeking justice.
In most cases, injured victims should dial 911 or seek medical attention immediately after the incident has occurred. If the victim has sustained severe injuries, they should be hospitalized and may have to undergo surgery and rehabilitation.
Pedestrians as well as other drivers are put in danger daily and drunk drivers must be forced to pay compensation to the injured individuals or the families of the deceased. It is important therefore, that victims become more aware of their rights in these situations. Speaking with an experience personal injury lawyer can help victims gain justice.
Filing a Claim
There are several forms of compensation available to the victims of drunk driving negligence. These include:
- Income Replacement Benefits : in the event that the victim is unable to work after the incident, the individual responsible for the accident must repay the money that the victim would have received if he or she was actively employed
- Medical Therapy Reimbursement : any home or vehicle modifications and various forms of rehabilitation that the victim has to undergo should be compensated by the party responsible
- Assistant Care Benefits : Compensation in the event that the victim has to get additional assistance from a nurse
- Caregiver Reimbursement : The victim may require care if there is severe damage, such as brain injury
- Pain and Suffering Damages
- Future Care Costs
- Housekeeping and Homemaking
- Reimbursement for family members
- Other Expenses : Funeral expenses, lost and damaged items and anything else related to the accident that may cause a financial burden on the victim or family members of a victim
Contacting a Barrie Drunk Driving Injury Lawyer
Unfortunately, many people are unable to receive compensation because they lack the means of addressing the situation on their own or are unaware that there are individuals who are ready and willing to help them find justice. At Rastin and Associates, a personal injury lawyer is waiting to hear your problem and give you a solution. If you or someone who know has been injured because of drunken driving negligence, contact Rastin and Associates today to help you get the compensation you deserve.